Thursday 17 February 2011

HOPF STUDIO BASS GUITAR

Has anyone got a Hopf Studio Bass, or any history about the Hopf bass in general. I,ve started this blog to gather all relevant details about the HOPF STUDIO BASS, I believe it was made in the 1960's.
the singer/bassist Lemmy of Motorhead had one when he played in the band Hawkwind, please see attached photo's.
If you have a Hopf Studio Bass Please feel free to attach photo's of you and your Hopf bass and any history regarding how you acquired your bass, your likes and dis-likes. Just let it all out don't be shy and bashful.
I've been looking for a Hopf Studio Bass, but the research says I'm not going to get one. If I can get as many people as possible involved in getting all the existing owners and previous owners together we can break down the figures of existing Hopf Studio Bass left.
If I cant find one for myself I will collect all the measurements from where ever possible then make one for myself. Watch this space for future developments
All feedback is welcome, no matter how ever small
Regards

Alan J Boyle

11 comments:

  1. I am hunting down a similar bass played by a guy in a band I played with some 20 years ago. Im not sure its the same but pretty close. Can I post pics here ?

    Kield

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi kield,
    thank you for visiting the Hopf Blog,I welcome all photo's associated with the Hopf Studio Bass
    Cheers ALAN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kield,
    Thank you for the emailed photo's, there great I uploaded them to the blog for you,
    Cheers again for your input
    regards
    ALAN
    see Kields photo's below right click to enlarge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: Hopf Studio Bass
    ...
    From:
    Boris Dommenget
    ...
    View Contact
    To: Jimmy Boyle
    
    Hi Alan,

    now that I´ve seen the photo I do remember
    that bass well. It was actually the last line of electrics
    the Hopf company made. I actually worked on a few.
    It´s got a mahagony body and a bolt-on neck made of laminated
    beechwood (like some of 60/70ies Framus).
    Lemmy´s bass is an early example from the beginning of the
    70ties feat. pickups made by Bill Lawrence, I guess. I also worked
    closely with Bill at that time. I can get access to the original
    templates, if you want me to make one. I also know the
    specs of those pickups and could reproduce pickups with this sound.
    The late seventies basses were equiped with Dieter Hopf´s own
    pickups. Dieter Hopf is still around and might have some
    original hardware.

    Best regards

    Boris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just got these photo's email via the European Guitar Forum from another of its members called Peer, well done man. If this carries on we'll have to have a party round at Dieter Hopf's house to celebrate.
    I really do appreciate all the help and advice from all that have taken part.
    don't you just love the guitar version of the Hopf.
    thanks again guys
    ALAN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you've seen this?
    Go and get it!

    http://cgi.ebay.de/Hopf-E-Bass-braun-natur-ca-30-Jahre-alt-/180635395287?pt=Gitarren&hash=item2a0eb564d7

    Peer B

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just bought one of these that still has the original perspex pick guard on it, absolutely stunning bass.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I got the guitar version, exactely the same model than the last picture. I'm planning to sell it. Do you have any idea of the price range for this nice guitar and if there is a lot made? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, its clearly been a few years, but was wondering if that guitar was still available? Been on the search for quite sometime now.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Hi there,
    if you contact me via email I'll sort out some contacts I've got and you could possibly sell it or get it valued by them, I can't promise you anything but I don't mine giving you the details no worries mate.
    If I had the spare cash I would buy it but sadly I don't.
    ALAN

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm interested in getting templates to build one of these basses. I play in 2 bands. One is mostly original, but we play Hawkwind '72-75. The other is a full on Motörhead tribute.
    www.facebook.com/chloroformOFFICIAL
    www.facebook.com/ironfistbuffalo

    ReplyDelete